This version of Woophy is not an update but a whole new site. Because we were forced to switch map technology from Flash to Google maps we had to rebuild almost 90% of the website. And for something that started small but grew out to become a gargantuan monster that is not easy. So some of the things we changed
• Bigger photos, all images and thumbnails on Woophy are resized for better viewing. Imagine that it cost about 3 second to resize a photo and that we have 1,000,000 photos the whole resizing process alone took about 3,000,000 seconds of computer calculations (833 hours or 35 days)
• Direct access to all last uploads, all recent images are put directly on the homepage so it is easy to scroll through the last 90 or so uploads.
• New Google map, thanks to the tablets we had to choose a new map technology and we are very proud that we managed to keep almost all the features of our old custom Flash map in the new generic Google map. For the future the Google maps offers much more possibilities like the more precise positioning of photos and exchange geo location with other applications.
• New share buttons for Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Tumblr, from now on it is possible to share everything on Woophy via your Facebook and Twitter account. So instead of posting just to Woophy you can share your photos with all your connections.
• SEO, this sounds boring but it is not. SEO means search engine optimization and it means that we put a lot of effort in making your pictures findable on the internet. From now on all new photos on Woophy (and gradually also all old pictures) have the location and the keywords in the name of the photo and in the web address were the photo is found. So when you type ‘landmarks buildings roros norway ros’ in Google images you will find Marek km2bp’s photo he posted two days ago in the first place at the search results.
• Webservers on 4 continents, giving more speed to South America, North American and Asia
• Personal information feed, a few panels with information on reactions on your photos and activity by your favorite members.
In the coming newsletters I will try to give you some tips and tricks for the new features.
Be #1 in Google